Dr. Sylvester Jefferson was an African-American dentist who practiced in Clarksville after 1915. Dr. Jefferson was a contemporary of Dr. Robert T. Burt, a respected African-American physician. Dr. Burt operated the Home Infirmary, Clarksville’s first hospital; and Dr. Jefferson assisted him there during the 1920s.
In 1917, Dr. Jefferson’s office was recorded at 122 1/2 N. 3rd Street in Clarksville, across the street from the Courthouse. He may have moved his practice to his home at a later date, on the corner of Main Street and 5th Street (also known as Hooper’s Alley).
Dr. Jefferson’s dental equipment is on display as part of the Museum’s permanent Memory Lane Gallery.