In 1950, Edward (1913-1969) and Helen Boehm started a basement studio in Trenton, New Jersey. Boehm was not trained as an artist,but had a innate talent for sculpture. His affinity for birds and animals arose from the farm management and animal husbandry classes he studied in college.
In the first decade of Boehm’s studio, he formulated his own hard-paste porcelain, and mastered each step in the complicated sculpture-making process. His sculptures were artistically and technically desirable. He began without even a basic knowledge of ceramics; yet his art, techniques, and standards of excellence have inspired other artisans.
As early as 1951, the Metropolitan Museum of Art acquired two of Boehm’s sculptures. Today, the porcelains are found in over 100 museums and other institutions throughout the world, including Buckingham Palace and the Vatican. Also, among his patrons were Britain’s Royal Family and several American presidents including, Nixon, Ford, and Reagan.
After Boehm’s death in 1969, the studio continued to thrive under the care of his widow Helen Boehm and a skilled staff of artists. Today Boehm Porcelain, LLC continues to produce new pieces following the legacy of its founder.